Why use these books?
These photocopiable task-based group stories transform the classroom into a hub of communicative, cooperative activity. Focusing on theme-based vocabulary building, discussion is stimulated through thought-provoking questions in the areas of relationships, ethics, and cross-cultural comparison.
- an essential role for each student
- peer teaching lowers affective filter
- stories improve listening skills
- memorization trains the ear in English syntax
- discussions bridge the gap between advanced level cognitive skills & low level linguistic skills
- illustrations make stories accessible
- group questions improve writing skills
- cloze exercises reinforce vocabulary, idioms & syntax
The Non-Jigsaw Books, Matching Cards & Bingo Games
The three non-jigsaw books Callan’s Beginner Essentials, Callan’s Canadian Holidays for Low Beginner ESL and Callan’s Conversation Surveys for Beginner ESL feature abundant, clear illustrations and basic information, while carefully avoiding difficult vocabulary, making them accessible to the lowest level students.
Matching Cards and Bingo games make vocabulary study fun for low beginners.
Browse the books
Latest blog posts
- Christmas Review GamesLearning about the holidays is not just fun, it helps students crack our cultural code. I’ve made three sets of review questions for Christmas and two game templates for playing with them. You could use the game templates for reviewing any material. In a snakes and ladders game, students roll the dice and move their …
- Remembrance Day Strip StoryImmigrants will see Canadians wearing poppies on their lapels. Help them crack our cultural code by teaching them about this important cultural observance. I love using strip stories with low beginner ESL and literacy students to practice vocabulary and syntax. Students will need a pair of scissors to cut up parts. I start by having …
- HolidaysClick through the holidays menu to find holiday materials to download for use in your classroom.
- Halloween Strip StoryHalloween is an important part of North American culture but this fun day for children can cause anxiety for new immigrants if they do not understand what is going on. Help them crack our cultural code with this strip story about Halloween. I love using strip stories with low beginner ESL and literacy students to …
- CanadaClick in this section of the ESL Jigsaws blog to find lessons related to study about Canada. Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms Geography Vocabulary Speaking Game Making Canada Study Come Alive Having Fun with New Canada Jigsaws What it Means to be Canadian